BNEWS.ID – Association of the Indonesian Tours and Travel Agencies (ASITA) in Bali has confirmed that none of its members were responsible for handling the group of Chinese tourists involved in a fatal accident in Buleleng Regency last week.
A Toyota Hiace minibus carrying 13 Chinese tourists plunged into a ravine after losing control in Banjar Dinas Prabakula, Padang Bulia Village, Sukasada District, early Friday (14/11) around 04.30 WITA. Five passengers were killed, while eight others sustained injuries.
ASITA Bali Chairman Putu Winastra expressed deep concern over the tragedy, stressing that incidents involving tourists can severely damage Bali’s tourism service image.
“Factually, the accident was not handled by a licensed driver or an authorized travel agent. This is an important reminder for the government to reevaluate tourism industry governance, especially in relation to travel agents,” Winastra said.
He emphasized the need for all non-Bali and overseas travel agents to work in partnership with local operators. Even online platforms, he added, must collaborate with licensed Balinese agencies when managing tourist groups.
“We urge that ASITA-registered travel agents be designated as official partners, both for domestic and international operators. When incidents occur, it is the reputation of local travel agents that is affected,” said Winastra, who also serves as the Honorary Consul of Kazakhstan in Bali.
ASITA Bali further encouraged the inclusion of this requirement in upcoming regional regulations, making cooperation with local agents mandatory. Following an internal inspection led by ASITA Bali’s China Committee, the association reaffirmed that the operator managing the ill-fated group was neither a member nor affiliated with ASITA.
Based on police findings, ASITA plans to use this case to push the government to include provisions requiring foreign tour operators to partner with licensed local travel agencies that are ASITA members.
Winastra added that ASITA remains committed to working with the government to improve Bali’s tourism management. However, he highlighted ongoing concerns over unlicensed operators who continue to violate regulations, including Regional Regulation No. 5 of 2020 on Tourism Standardization in Bali.
“We urge the government to ensure that illegal operators and online platforms are required to obtain proper permits and join ASITA during the formulation of new regulations,” he concluded.
ASITA expressed regret over the presence of unauthorized operators who continue to disregard regulations, ultimately tarnishing the reputation of Bali’s tourism industry. (*)




Discussion (0)
No comments yet.